Friday, August 12, 2011

Hot August Nights - 50's dress up!

Hello and Happy Friday!

Today was 50's dress up day at Alyssa's school, in celebration of Hot August Nights.
(every year, Reno hosts a very fun event with cars from the 50's and 60's).

This year, a friend of mine and I decided to be ambitious and make Poodle Skirts for our daughters. 
We found directions on this awesome blog: http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/10/last-minute-costume-easy-poodle-skirt.html

So, I took a 36x36 piece of bright pink felt and cut it in a circle. I also cut a smaller circle in the middle for the waist. The blog has a template for the Poodle, which I cut out of white felt.



I glued the Poodle (and her rhinestone collar and leash) on with Tacky Glue and added cotton balls to give the Poodle some dimension. (I am not counting on the cotton to be intact by the end of the day, with a 3 year old, but it was a cute idea)


I cut a slit in the fabric (to make it a wrap around) and used iron on velcro to close it and make it adjustable (so she can wear it again next year and for dress up) - Sorry, no picture of the velcro. (I am still learning when to take pictures for my blog!)

I ended up having enough fabric to make 2 skirts...so I made one for one of Alyssa's friends too!
(another picture we didn't get was one of them together, because we didn't get to school at the same time this morning. Maybe we will have some luck this afternoon and I can update my blog?)


...and here's a picture of Alyssa and my friends daughter Izzi in her purple Poodle Skirt!


It sure was fun venturing out of my normal paper projects! maybe I will think about doing it more often!

Thanks for stopping by. I am off to go camping this weekend! But, next weekend I will be at a crop, so I hope to get a lot done and have something to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment